SnippetManager & Injector v3 is a code snippet manager for PowerShell. It can now be used with any editor, but also has special support for ISE and PowerGUI built in. Its based on an award winning add-on and enables you to comfortably manage PowerShell code snippets. Its free and itself completely written in PowerShell.
If you never worked with snippets before, here is a short explanation: Snippets are code fragments or short scripts that you save for later, so that you can use them again in another script. You’ve probably done that before by opening an old script and copy parts out of it. By saving such parts as a “snippet” you can do this much faster and easier in the future.
Once you assigned a name to your snippet, you can easily inject them in your code by either using the built in functions in ISE and Powergui or the new Snippet Injector.
In addition to that, you can replace parts of the snippet code (e.g. function names, variables or anything that you probably would change when you use that code again) with a placeholder (currently only supported by PowerGUI). This placeholder will be highlighted when you paste the snippet to your script, and you can simply put in a new value for the placeholder.
I don’t want to sell you anything, so you can believe me when i tell you: once you’ve started using snippets, you will never want to script without them anymore. :-)
For what’s new in V3: Click here.
Snippet Explorer – copy, paste, rename, delete snippets and snippet categories
Snippet Injector – quickly and comfortably search your snippets and insert them with one click in any editor you like
Snippet Creator – change existing snippets, create new snippets, advanced placeholder functions for PowerGUI (auto-creation of placeholders, delete existing placeholders with auto-replacement to the default value, auto highlighting of placeholders etc.)
Store Room – quick and easy deactivation (and reactivation) of snippets to clean up your snippets menu
Snippet Converter – quick and easy conversion between PowerGUI snippet format and ISE snippet format (both directions, as many as you want, with just a click)
Snippet Locations – support for multiple snippet locations from your network or local computer in snippet explorer. Supports roaming profiles.
Fulltext Search – full-text indexing of all snippets, instant search in the snippet Code, Description, Name and Author.
PoshCode Search – Search for Snippets and Scripts on Poshcode.org (a web-based script repository). Fully integrated in SnippetExplorer.
Customizable Syntax Coloring – Display the code in the same colors as in your editor or use one of the shipped color schemes.
and much, much more…
Screenshots and Demo Videos:
Powershell v3 or later is recommend for this version (3.0.0) of SnippetManager
Powershell v2 is sufficent, although enhanced syntax coloring and Poshcode search needs v3 or later.
Snippet Manager and Injector has been tested with various Windows versions and should run on any Windows where at least Powershell v2 can be installed.
A) You can download Snippet Manager & Injector v3 here: Download
B) If you run into any trouble during the installation, you can download the files in a ZIP-file instead: ZIP
- Just extract the Folder inside anywhere you like.
- But be sure to use the SnippetManager-Start.cmd to run SnippetManager or to create shortcuts from! (Check the help file for commandline options.)
There is a comprehensive help file included, but you can also download it separately: PDF
I’ve started to create a Basic Snippet Pack (currently about 40 snippets) to get you started if you haven’t used snippets before.
Most of them are basic snippets (loops, conditions, etc.) but there are also a few advanced ones.
Still working on that. For now please use the help file.
- Snippet Injector! Inject your snippets in any editor. Quick and comfortable access to the snippet you need with just a click.
- customizable Pop-Up Window
- 2 types of tooltips for quick preview, Tooltips have syntax coloring!
- supports different types of snippet injection
- PoshCode Search – Search for Snippets and Scripts on Poshcode.org. Fully integrated in SnippetExplorer.
- Customizable Syntax Coloring! Adjust the shipped color schemes or create a new one. Easily adjustable in a WYSIWYG-window.
- Many SnippetExplorer improvements
- Improved Network Support. SnippetManager now runs smoothly from network-shares, works with shared snippet repositories and supports roaming profiles
- New Design: new icons, graphical buttons, cleaner design
- Contrast-slider for the code-box
- “Floating Launcher” and Notification icon – to launch Manager and Injector as quick and comfortable as possible
- lots and lots of minor bugfixes and handling improvements
- ISE support! SnippetManager now fully supports the ISE snippets format.
- ISE <-> PowerGUI Snippet Converter! – You can easily convert all (or just a few of) your snippets from PowerGUI to ISE (and back) with just a click.
- Quicksearch! With the new quicksearch-box you can now even faster find the snippets you are looking for. Just open SnippetManager and start typing a name, keyword, command… etc.
- Full Syntax Coloring! SnippetManager now provides full syntax coloring, even while typing. (Powershell V3 required)
– Included are currently two coloring shemes (easily changable via the options menu):
An ISE color sheme, which looks exactly like the colors in ISE and a (more moderatly colored :))
SnippetManager color sheme.
- SnippetExplorer drag and drop capability (yeah i know, but now its there :) )
- Faster Snippet Processing (up to 10x faster for large snippets)
- New Design
- More commands/menue items support keyboard shortcuts (the available shortcuts are shown in the tooltip of the item)
- Standalone Tool: SnippetManager is now a standalone tool, not a PowerGUI addon anymore. That means (for now) only that it gets started by a shortcut on your desktop. I will however add “launcher”-addons for ISE and PowerGUI later this year, so that you can start SnippetManager from inside your editor
- lots of minor bugfixes
- Faster Snippet Processing
- Improved Syntax Highlighting
- various Bugfixes
- various Bugfixes
Improvements/Features: (in detail see here)
- Snippet Locations! You can now add multiple snippet folders from your network or local computer to the snippet explorer. (You can also manually add UNC Paths.)
- Fulltext Search! Snippet Manager creates a fulltext-index of your snippets, so you can very quickly search in the snippet Code, Description, Name and Author.
- Deactivation and Reactivation of Snippets! Easily deactivate (and reactivate) snippets to clean up your PowerGUI snippets menu.
- No UAC-Popup Anymore
- Enhanced Syntax Highlighting
- Faster Snippet Processing (up to 8x faster)
- New Option: restore last size and position of the Snippet Manager window at start
- New Icons
- Fixed: After file operations all Subfolders of the snippets path would be expanded
- Fixed: Paths with read-only access caused errors
- Fixed: The ShowInWindowsExplorer Function couldn’t find a snippet or folder if there was a special character in the name
- minor bugfixes
Improvements/Features: (in detail see here)
- SnippetManager now has an installer
- Most of the commands/menue items now support keyboard shortcuts (the available shortcuts are shown in the tooltip of the item)
- Automatic update check implemented (optional; can be turned on/off at first start and in the options menu)
- Future Updates can now be downloaded and installed from inside SnippetManager
- A standard value for the “Author”-field can be set (in the options menu), which will then be used for all new snippets
- Link to the Video Tutorial and a “Contact Developer” (mailto) entry added to the Help-Menu
- Fixed: placeholders with equal names could be created
- Fixed: under certain circumstances a folder could be copied into a subfolder of itself
- Fixed: snippet path of PowerGui_Pro could not be found
- No more limitations for auto-created placeholders, anything (but spaces) can be turned into a placeholder
- Placeholder names can be changed subsequently, changes will be replicated to all instances in the snippet
- Improved status-bar
- Fixed auto-word selection caused problems while selecting text in the codebox
- minor bugfixes
- Initial Release